A large part of our business is understanding changes to legislation and ensuring we adapt our solutions to keep your business in line with anything that could affect it. Our news area offers a snapshot of recent industry news.


Registering with an Umbrella Company

29 September, 2010

Non-residents may require a work permit or visa in order to work in the UK and this should be obtained before approaching any agency or Umbrella Company. Applications can be made to the UK Border Agency Visa Enquiries.    

A National Insurance Number will also be required and applications can be made to the Department of Work and Pensions. An NI number is a personal account number, it is unique and the same number is kept for life. The number makes sure that the NI contributions and tax paid are properly recorded. It also acts as a reference number when communicating with the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) and Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

A UK bank account will be required when working through an Umbrella Company as payments will be made via electronic transfer. Once an Umbrella Company has been selected a contract will be signed.

The submission of weekly or monthly timesheets will be required. The Umbrella Company then submits an invoice to the agency. Some Umbrella Companies select to make payments on the same day that they receive the money, others pay monthly.

The Umbrella Company will pay directly into your bank account. Contractors will receive an invoice that will detail the deductions for income tax (PAYE), national insurance, the umbrella fees, and any other agreed deductions. Expenses that have been fully incurred in the course of the work contract may also be submitted for deduction.

Knowledge Base